Saturday, November 20, 2010

Granola

So, since I posted my son's favorite breakfast, I thought it was only fair to also post my husbands as well...his does not need to be made daily.  But like my boy, he also prefers the homemade stuff and not the store bought kind, this is actually a good thing because homemade Granola is much cheaper than the store bought stuff.  My son and I enjoy making Daddy his special granola.


Although I generally change the ingredients just a little every time I make this, depending on my mood and what's in the pantry, here is the basic recipe I tend to follow.


Granola Recipe:
4 cups oatmeal (regular rolled oats)
2 cups mixed nuts (I like pecans, pine nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, etc.)
1 cup shredded coconut (not the sweetened kind - the big flakes)
1 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp. hazelnut agave (of flavor of your choice)
2 Tbsp. honey
4 tsp. cinnamoon
4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil (optional)


Mix oatmeal, nuts & coconut in a large bowl.
Mix maple syrup, agave, honey and cinnamon (and oil, if using) in a pot and bring to a boil.  Cook 1 minute after it begins to boil.  Turn off heat, add vanilla.  Pour syrup over oatmeal mixture.  Pour mixture into 2 large cookie sheets.  Bake 275 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Stir once after first 15 minutes, then continue baking.  Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment